Communication involves an interchange of ideas, opinions and information. This category addresses numerous dimensions of communication including internal and external exchanges; written, verbal, non-verbal and listening skills; computer literacy; providing appropriate information to different audiences; working with the media and social marketing techniques.
- Communicate effectively with individuals, families, groups, communities and colleagues.
- Interpret information for professional, non-professional and community audiences.
- Mobilize individuals and communities by using appropriate media, community resources and social marketing techniques.
- Use current technology to communicate effectively.
Communicate Effectively with Individuals, Families, Groups, Communities and Colleagues
- Health Promotion Capacity Building Services Resources to assist in building individual and organizational capacity in the core competencies of public health to promote health and prevent chronic disease and injury. Public Health Ontario.
- Skills for health promotion toolkit This toolkit includes chapters on developing campaigns in health communication. Public Health Ontario.
- The health planner’s toolkit. Module 5. Community engagement and communication This module provides definitions, theories, frameworks, examples, tools and steps on communication. Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
Interpret Information for Professional, Non-Professional and Community Audiences
- KT Clearinghouse This website, funded by CIHR, is a collection of resources and links on knowledge translation.
- From research to practice. A knowledge transfer planning guide This document is a resource to assist with planning for knowledge translation. Institute for Work and Health.
Mobilize Individuals and Communities by Using Appropriate Media, Community Resources and Social Marketing Techniques
- Conducting a social marketing campaign This website outlines information on how to conduct a social marketing campaign. Kansas Community Toolbox.
- Gateway to health communication & social marketing practice This website provides access to resources on communication and social marketing, including the audience, channels, tools, and evaluating the campaign. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Social marketing. A planned process for…Implementing change. An HPC resource list This document outlines resources and organizational links related to social marketing. Health Promotion Clearinghouse.
Use Current Technology to Communicate Effectively
- How can you integrate technology and social media into health promotion? This website outlines tools for various formats (e.g. blogs, Twitter, and webinars) to help organizations use social media to promote health. Health Nexus.
- The health communicator’s social media toolkit Information, tips and tools aimed at beginners who want to start using social media for health communication campaigns, activities and emergency response efforts. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.