This category captures the competencies required to influence and work with others to improve the health and well-being of the public through the pursuit of a common goal. Partnership and collaboration optimizes performance through shared resources and responsibilities. Advocacy – speaking, writing or acting in favour of a particular cause, policy or group of people – often aims to reduce inequities in health status or access to health services.
- Identify and collaborate with partners in addressing public health issues.
- Use skills such as team building, negotiation, conflict management and group facilitation to build partnerships.
- Mediate between differing interests in the pursuit of health and well-being, and facilitate the allocation of resources.
- Advocate for healthy public policies and services that promote and protect the health and well-being of individuals and communities.
Identify and Collaborate with Partners in Addressing Public Health Issues
- Collaboration and partnerships for healthy communities This online course has 7 modules focused on collaboration and partnerships. Ontario Healthy Communities Coalition.
- How do we create and support community partnerships? This website provides tips, information, and resources on effective collaboration. Health Nexus.
- What does it mean to collaborate? This website provides tips, information, and resources on effective collaboration. Health Nexus.
- Partnership building. An HPC resource list This resource lists tools and documents that will assist with identifying and building partnerships. Health Promotion Clearinghouse.
- Chronic disease tool This document includes a tool, how-to-guide and case studies to assist public health practitioners and stakeholders to strengthen chronic disease prevention and management. Canadian Public Health Association.
Use Skills such as Team Building, Negotiation, Conflict Management and Group Facilitation to Build Partnerships and Mediate between Differing Interests in the Pursuit of Health and Well-Being, and Facilitate the Allocation of Resources
- Facilitation techniques. An HPC resource list This resource offers links to various documents and tools on facilitation. Health Promotion Clearinghouse.
- Team building This document provides information on team development and further resources for the reader. World Health Organization.
- Building better teams. A Toolkit for strengthening teamwork in Community Health Centres – Resources, tips, and activities you can use to enhance collaboration This toolkit is intended for Ontario Community Health Centres to develop the needed skills for working in teams. Canadian Alliance of Community Health Centre Associations.
Advocate for Healthy Public Policies and Services that Promote and Protect the Health and Well-Being of Individuals and Communities
- Advocacy and policy development. An HPC resource document This resource brings together numerous website links, tools, and resources on advocacy and policy development in health. Health Promotion Clearinghouse.
- Toolkit To healthier communities – Influencing healthy public policies This handbook is intended to assist community advocacy at the local level. Ontario Chronic Disease Prevention Alliance.
- Community engagement in Region of Waterloo Public Health (ROWPH). A look at policy and practice The report presents a theoretical framework, a review of the work of the region, and illustrations of community engagement work. Bermingham.
- The Health planner’s toolkit. Module 5. Community engagement and communication This module provides definitions, theories, frameworks, examples, tools and steps on the “why” and “how” of community engagement. Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.